Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
which guides? 
Garfish

Hi guys,

Will try myself on a couple of builds during winter and it would be great if you experienced guys could give me some advice.
Will be getting a GF800XH live baiting for kings + occasionally casting out a bait. It will be fished with 24kg and matched with an avet raptor to keep things light and very castable. For that reason I'd like to keep the guides as light as possible.

Which are the best Fuji guides to suit this purpose (price not a factor here)?
Are turbo guides the only way to go, or is there other lighter options that are up to the task?

What size guides should be used for this?
Suppose size 25 striper then one size down until you reach the smallest smallest guide size?
Should I be getting the last few guides + tip in size 12 to make knots pass through easier, or is smaller better due to the weight?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Felix

Tue May 28, 2013 3:46 pm
Kingfish

for LBG builds longer than 7'6" I prefer to use lighter framed guides like MNSG's to keep the overall frame weight down. While you could certainly use game style guides like HBSG's you would find that on longer blanks (especially once you get over 7'6") with more guides the added weight of HBSG's or similar would cause the rod to be "sloppy", which would be an issue if you have intentions of casting with it.
At the end of the day, MNSG's are used on most popping rods with no ill effect, and considering some of these rods top or exceed PE12, they hold up just fine. I'd just recommend running size 12's towards the tip to facilitate leader knots passing through. You could also oversize the tip to a 16mm. I start with a 30mm stripper and work down to 12's.
Although the frames may seem lightweight compared to a HBSG i'm yet to see one fail or present any negative return. The only reason that a HBSG may be better than a MNSG is for durability. If you want a frame that will take knocks around the rocks, or if you're rough with your gear the heavier frames will naturally mean you'll have a lesser chance of damage to both the frame and/or insert.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:42 pm
Garfish

Thanks a lot mate!

Is there a difference between ICMNSG and MNSG guides apart from the look? Other than optics I can't see a logic behind titanium plaited guides. Or are they maybe more corrosion resistant like full titanium guides?

They go best with an MNST/ICMNST tip then, right?

Looking after my gear - at least the more expensive stuff - very well, so MNSG's should do the job especially now that frank is producing his LBG Buddy's again. Thinking about putting a little rubber/eva/etc section above the grip where the Buddy will attach, to protect the blank, but will see first how Frank's new spacer will work.

It's still a few months down the track, but in case I f*** it up, I know who to ask to build it for me :mrgreen:

Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 pm
White Bait

Exact same frame and insert just the ICMSG are Ion Coated.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:11 pm
Kingfish

as cap mentioned, they are the same guide but look different. there is no difference in corrosion prevention between the 2.
Yep, MNST tip is the ideal match.
for the protective section above the foregrip, maybe use X-pattern shrinkwrap (X-flock) in a small diameter, directly onto the blank or maybe with an underbind of D-grade thread before laying it down. Novel idea, not sure how it would look but I've got an idea in my head on how you could make it look neat.

Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 pm
Garfish

Thanks again ezzy and cap! Love this forum you guys are a great help.

Thu May 30, 2013 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]